Top 10 young fish friers announced
11 Aug 2016
Organised by Seafish, the National Fish & Chip Awards will take place on 26 January 2017 in London
The 10 semi-finalists for the ‘best young fish frier’ award at the 2017 National Fish & Chip Awards have been announced.
The 10 up-and-coming young friers are:
- Elise Boothroyd of Fochabers Fish Bar in Fochabers, Moray
- Paul Gunn of The Bay Fish and Chips in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire
- Andrew Hillier of Harbourside Fish & Chips in Barbican, Plymouth
- James Houlston of Our Plaice in Kidderminster, West Midlands
- Maria Magda Illioiu of The Real Food Café in Tyndrum, Perthshire
- Sam Parry of Top Chippy in Llanrwst, Conwy
- Luke Pope of Bankers Fish Restaurant in Brighton, East Sussex
- Daniel Straughan of Fish & Chips @ 149 in Barnard Castle, County Durham
- Hank Kloppers and George Papadamou of Papa’s Fish & Chips in Hull, East Yorkshire
The semi-finalists will now go head-to-head as they compete for the top title – Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year Award.
To get to this stage the young friers have faced a rigorous judging process, undergoing exam questionnaires and in-depth telephone interviews conducted by senior industry experts.
Over the coming weeks, they will be subjected to further appraisal as they receive a skills based assessment and undergo a personal interview during a comprehensive judging day at the National Federation of Fish Friers (NFFF) Training School in Leeds, West Yorkshire. This next stage of the competition will whittle the shortlist down to five finalists.
The overall national winner will be announced on 26 January 2017 at the National Fish & Chip Awards annual ceremony in London.
Links to related companies and recent articles …